Liverpool’s recruiters are looking for two different profiles as they continue the summer rebuild.
The Reds have already brought in Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai for a combined £95m, while waving goodbye to Jordan Henderson and Fabinho, as well as James Milner, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
More midfield recruits are expected before the close of the transfer window on 1 September, with Romeo Lavia the primary target.
The Reds have seen two bids rejected for Southampton’s midfield enforcer so far, the latest reportedly totalling £41m including add-ons.
The Saints are holding firm on their £50m valuation, while Chelsea and Manchester United are among the other clubs supposedly monitoring the situation.
On Tuesday, it was reported that as negotiations with Southampton prove tricky, Liverpool have opened talks with Fluminense over 22-year-old Andre Trindade.
While it was initially reported as though Andre would be an alternative target to Lavia, the two are quite different in playing style, and Melissa Reddy has now suggested the Reds might still be on the hunt for two more signings, rather than just one.
Writing in Twitter, the Sky Sports reporter said that the dialogue with Southampton remains open, while adding “Clear the club are looking at two profiles: controller, progressive destroyer.”
Reddy’s comments suggest then that Andre could be signed in addition to Lavia – with the former profile description more resembling the Brazilian, and the latter Southampton’s Belgian.
Previously, Reddy has said: “In an ideal situation, two new midfielders and a defender would be added to Jurgen Klopp’s squad before the close of the window.”
It is understood that personal terms between Liverpool and Lavia have already been agreed, with just a compromise on price in the way of a deal.
Meanwhile, Football Transfers reported last week that Fluminense want €25m (£21.5m) for 80% of Andre’s economic rights, but are not keen to sell a key player before the end of the Brazilian domestic season in December.
Klopp, for his part, has said ‘it’s no secret’ that Liverpool remain in the market for new arrivals before the end of the window, but suggested that Curtis Jones can be used in the number six position in the absence of further recruits.
“I think it is no secret that we are still looking for players to join us,” Klopp said in his pre-match press conference ahead of Wednesday’s clash with Bayern.
“That’s one thing and the other thing is using what you have and I think Curtis [Jones] can absolutely play that position [number six].
“Can he play it when nobody else is defending in the team? No. No chance, but I don’t know any player who can play it then.”